Home Made Sausage Rolls
These are mouthwatering. Make plenty for a weekend breakfast. It's worth the effort! They freeze well, too, and can be heated in the oven at 350 for about 12 - 14 minutes, or in the microwave for a few seconds if thawed (about 1 1/2 minutes if frozen). Very convenient for a grab and go breakfast.
2 hours 12 minutes 2 hrs prep
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast with the water.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and 1/4 cup sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Mix in the egg yolks, milk, and salt, combining well.
- Stir in the dissolved yeast and the flour, and mix until the ingredients are thoroughly blended into a soft dough.
- Cover the dough with a towel, and set the dough aside to rise to about double in size, approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Pinch off pieces of dough about the size of a golf ball, flatten the balls slightly, and transfer them to the baking sheet.
- Place the balls at least 1 inch apart, and brush them liberally with the melted butter.
- Set them aside to double in size again, about 45 minutes to one hour.
- Gently indent the top of the dough with your thumb, fairly deep.
- Place the little pinky size smoked sausage link (could be a spicy sausage link, or could add cheese and/or jalapeno with the sausage link, too) in the indent and fold the kolache over the sausage and seal.
- Bake in 425 oven for 10- 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately brush butter on the top.
- They are best eaten as soon as they are cool enough to handle.
This is a Czech goulash made with a pilsner. Very aromatic and rich. Can be served over egg noodles or mashed potatoes, and a nice bread.
1 hour 15 minutes 15 mins prep
- In stew sized pot, heat oil and cook onions until golden brown, add caraway seeds just before onions are done.
- Add cubed beef, and slightly brown.
- Stir in tomato paste, paprika, black pepper, and pilsner beer.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Add flour to thicken.
- Stir in salt, garlic& marjoram.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 more minutes.